Chapter 7 Social, Mobile, and Local Marketing
1. Find a site on the Web that offers classified ads for horses. Compare this site to exchangehunterjumper.com in terms of the services offered (the consumer value proposition). What does The Exchange offer that the other sites do not?
I have visited equinenow.com, which is another websites that sells horses. The Exchange has a feature that this website does not have, which are videos of the horses.
2. In what ways were social media effective in promoting The Exchange brand? Which media led to the highest increase in sales and inquiries? Why?
Social media has been effective to promote The Exchange brand, some of the sites are YouTube, Facebook, and Twitter, but Facebook was the media that led to the highest increase in sales and inquiries because it is an easier media site to connect with customers and to spread the word.
3. Make a list of all the ways The Exchange attempts to personalize its services to both buyers and sellers.
Some of the ways The Exchange plans to personalize its services include:
1. A new personalize search method
2. Personal strategies for each horse and customer
3. Enable recommendations
4. Work with customer’s limitations
1. Describe the two factors that make social, local, and mobile marketing different from a traditional online marketing.
Social, local, and mobile marketing have some features that traditional online marketing did not have, these features are conversation and engagement. These new methods allow the businesses to get closer to the customers and interact with them, which was not possible before or in traditional methods.
2. What are the major social network sites?
Major social network sites are web-based services that allow users to connect with other users. The most important sites are Facebook, YouTube, Instagram, and Twitter.
3. List and briefly describe Twitter marketing tools.
Twitter is a social media site that allows users to send an instantaneous message to their followers. These messages can be spread easily with some of their tools, such as retweet. Twitter has been using this feature as its main marketing tool since these messages can reach many people in a short amount of time, making new coverage easier and more effective.
4. What is the fastest growing m-commerce platform and why?
Highstreetap is considered as one of the faster growing platform to develop a mobile app because of the facilities to enhance your mobile platform with the website. Also, during the last years, more m-commerce transactions have been with a tablet instead of using a smartphone.
5. List and describe some basic location-based marketing tools.
Geo-social-based services marketing, proximity marketing, and in-store messaging are some of the basic location-based marketing tools. Geo-social based locates the location of the customer and can be used for check-in services. Proximity marketing focuses the customer near to a specific location and sends messages to them. In-store tools detect when the customers are in the store, so they can send them information about products, or contact with them.
3. Visit two Web sites of your choice and apply the social marketing process model to both. Critically compare and contrast the effectiveness of these sites in terms of the social marketing process. How well do these sites acquire fans, generate engagement, amplify responses, create a community, and strengthen their brands? What recommendations can you make for these sites to improve their effectiveness?
I visited Nike’s website and Lululemon's website. Both of them strengthen their brands with a powerful website that it is easy to use and easy to navigate through it, in other words, consumer friendly. Lululemon has a “bigger” community, possible the sales of Nike are higher, but Lululemon is more active in social media, and their fans seem to appeal more loyalty to the brand. Both websites generate engagement with the display of ads of their newer products, discounts, etc. Lululemon is probably doing a better job acquiring fans, they are more active in social media than Nike, but Nike’s market share is already too big so it is more complicated to focus on just a specific groups of customers as Lululemon does.
I will recommend Nike to increase their social media presence is some platforms, or use different marketing campaigns depending on the customer profile; they probably have an enough database to obtain the necessary information from each customer.