ITS 370 Chapter 6
4. Using the Internet, determine what applications are commercially available to enable secure remote access to a PC.
RemotePC – allows people to connect to remote desktops using a secured code but is using a paid model rather than a free model.
Zoho Assist – Free remote support software and remote access tool created by SMBs.
TeamViewer- lets people connect to remote desktops but uses a security code that is exclusive to the users and is not shared with anyone else
Chrome remote Desktop- allows you to connect to your desktop using a phone are tablet from anywhere for free, it’s convenient but not as secure.
Connectwise Control – self hosted remote desktop control software, typically used by customer support agencies to get access to a clients troubled computer.
1. Using the Web, search for “software firewalls.” Examine the various alternatives available and compare their functionality, cost, features, and type of protection. Create a weighted ranking according to your own evaluation of the features and specifications of each software package.
ZoneAlarm -Free firewall software on windows devices. Developed by ZoneAlarm and purchased by Checkpoint Software Technologies. There is a paid version for $90, protects from viruses, protects identity, ransomware, and real time phishing protection.
ComodoFirewall -Free firewall software, has a yearly subscription option for $18 a year. Protects from viruses and ransomware designed for windows 10 computers
TinyWall -Free firewall software with no paid options, designed to be lightweight so its non-intrusive on your system, blocks tampering and intrusive phishing attempts
AVS Firewall -Free firewall software with no paid option. Designed specifically to help deflect online hacking attempts and filters out phishing emails.
1. What questions do you think Kelvin should have included on his slide to start the discussion?
Kevin should get straight to the point and ask the key questions such as:
1. how important is our security?
2. If we are a high-risk high priority area is it worth it for us to go with the more expensive but more secure package?
3. Can we justify the more expensive project?
4. Is the more economical plan enough to keep us secured?
2. If the questions were broken down into two categories, they would be cost versus maintaining high security while keeping flexibility. Which is more important for SLS?
I believe that security is the priority for SLS. They have a history of having their data compromised in the past and if it continues to happen, they are going to spend more in the long run trying to fix the issues and recover from the attacks. They should go with the more secure system and eat the cost to keep their information safe
Ethical Decision Making
Is it unethical to produce a consulting report that steers a client toward a specific outcome?
This would be an unethical way to consult someone. You are intentionally selling one option short and misrepresenting it in order to steer your client to spend more money with you. The lower option could work for the client, but your greed is robbing them of that option, and it is done for personal gain, that is the epitome of unethical behavior.
Would she be ethically sound to urge reconsideration of such a decision?
If the more expensive option was an unbiased honest appraisal Ms. Harris would be in the right to strongly urge them to choose this option rather than go for the more inexpensive option. Ms. Harris is the professional and knows what is best for the client and she is just trying to ensure they are properly protected despite the higher cost.