Chapter 6: Security Technology: Access Controls, Firewalls, and VPNs
1) Using the Web, search for “software firewalls.” Examine the various alternative available and compare their functionality, Cost, features and type of protection. Create a weighted ranking according to your own evaluation of the features and specifications of each software package.
· There are a few firewalls that I am going to compare. First is PC Tools Firewall Plus is a free firewall, that protects from hackers and intruders, also can stop trojans. There is COMODO Firewall. This software is probably the most famous firewall of all of them. It costs $39.99 for the antivirus and firewall but offers a free security program. Zone Alarm Firewall is a solid firewall for Windows users and has the potential to replace windows firewall and costs $44.95. The last one I will compare is called Online Armor. It has all the features similar to other firewalls, but has other features like keylogger, guard, tamper protection, worm protection and goes for $12.95.
4) Using the Internet, determine what applications are commercially available to enable secure remote access to a PC.
· The three secure remote access software are Chrome Remote Desktop, Team Viewer, and Microsoft Remote Desktop. Chrome Remote Desktop is a remote access application developed by Google and can be used to remotely access files on a PC. It is linked to Google account and does not require any special code or ID. It is free to use, its available for Windows, Mac, and Linux and mobile app for iOS and Android. It gives audio support while providing a fast internet connection speed Team Viewer is the most popular remote access application which is free, lightweight and fast. The access does require special ID and password to be entered on any client computer. It is also available for Windows, Mac, and Linux and also available as web app. It supports an Instant messaging feature with audio and video support. It can also establish multiple remote connections at a time. Another remote access application is Microsoft Remote Desktop. It was released by Microsoft for accessing your Windows computer from your IOS or Android phones. This is fast, free, and easy to use on any computer. You do not need a
· special passcode to use this.
1) What questions do you think Kelvin should have included on his slide to start the discussion?
· The questions that I think should be included are:
· Ask questions and present the plan to Charlie Moody and the IT planning staff.
· Ask questions about the project status reports covering the internet connection architecture.
· Ask questions about the logjam design issues.
· Ask about how to provide high security to the company.
· Ask how to reduce the cost of the plan.
2) If the questions were broken down into two categories, they would be cost versus maintaining high security while keeping flexibility. Which is more important for SLS?
· The most important aspect for Sequential Label and Supply Company would be maintaining high security. Ideally, you want to be the most cost efficient while having the highest security. But it is better to spend the money to have good security, then try to go cheap and have a security breach and end up losing a lot more money than it would have been to just establish better security.
Ethical Decision Making
I don’t really think it is unethical to produce I biased report as long as you do it with the best of intentions. If you are doing it to persuade your employer to the decision that you believe is the right decision, I don’t think it is unethical. If you are doing it in the other direction to hurt your company because you are mad at your employer and are going to quit or something, then that would be unethical.
Yes, she would be ethically sound to urge the decision the other way. Once again, if she was doing it with the best interest of the company in her mind, then she would be acting ethically.