Chapter3: E-COMMERCE Business Models and Concepts
Q1. Why does Akamai need to geographically disperse its servers to deliver its customerís web content?
- Akamai needs to spread their servers because they want to deliver information as fast as they can. Their network is designed that every message is needed to be verified and gone through the receiver server.
Since, we are watching many videos and music, the size of the file or information are getting bigger and bigger. Thus, Akamai tried to disperse its servers to bandwidth to offer fast speed data transport.
Q2. If you wanted to deliver software content over the Internet, would you sign up for Akamaiís service? Why or why not?
- I would like to choose to use Akamaiís service because, this company is designed for transporting online information. It is guaranteed that this company put effort to offer us better service; to compete and
win the contest. The company keep working on not only transporting information but also the security of information.
Q3. Do you think Internet users should be charged based on the amount of bandwidth they consume, or on a tiered plan where users would pay in rough proportion to their usage?
- They already charge us depend on how fast we want to use internet. Therefore, I think it is not a good idea that they charge for tiered plan based on how far we need to transport the information. If they charge us more, since there
are other good services from amazon or other companies, they will lose some customers.
2. Select two countries (excluding the United States) and prepare a short report describing their basic Internet infrastructure. Are they public or commercial? How and where do they connect to backbones within the United States?
††††††††††††††† 1) China: China has well structured internet network. Basically, there are three internet exchange points in China: national level of internet network, core level of internet network, and metropolitan area network points.
††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† The internet speed in China is quick when we think about how big China is. Approximately, the speed of internet in China is 3.39Mb/s in 2015. Thus, by this time, it must be way faster than 2015. Furthermore, commercial and public operates the
††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† infrastructure together.
††††††††††††††† 2) India: India used to not have good quality of internet. Because Internet in India, it is based on satellite link system. Nowadays, many different companies and private organizations are putting their efforts to enlarge the fiber optics to boost their internet environment,
††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Moreover, they also try to enhance their connectivity throughout the nation. For achieve these goals, India also decide to run infrastructure mix of public and commercial. For backbones connection with USA, India use system in Mumbai, Cochin, Chennai and so on; for
††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† Instance, TIC connects Chennai, Singapore, and the FLAG-FEA connects Mumbai with Europe.
3. Investigate the Internet of Things. Select one example and describe what it is and how it works.
††††††††††††††† - loT is the technology that helps our lives way easier. We can save lots of time by using loT devices. For example, if a refrigerator that has web-camera inside fridge, so that we can know what we need to buy more, we donít need to write down what we need to write down
††††††††††††††† everything on the paper whenever we go to the shopping; we can just check by our cell phone outside of house. Therefore, basically, the house furniture will be connected by internet so that we can access and control them outside of house.