ITS 230 SEC 001
Due on 9/21/18
2. False; The W3C oversees research and sets standards and guidelines for many areas of the internet.
3. False; Users may have to pay additional fees for mobile hotspot and tethering services, but not generally.
4. False; A gigabyte can consist of up to approximately one billion characters.
8. A search engine is software that finds websites, webpages, images, videos maps, and other information related to a specific topic.
11. False; Streaming is the process of transferring data in a continuous and even flow, which allows users to access and use a file while it is transmitting.
12. False; One way to protect yourself from identity theft is to delete all your cookies in your browser.
1. Unsolicited Friend Request: I would reject friend requests from people I didn’t recognize, and block them if they attempted to send multiple requests, as well as report them as spam.
2. Unexpected Search Engine: I most likely typed in the URL for a domain name similar, but not exactly (ie ), and was taken to a different web page/portal.
3. Discarding Old Computer Equipment: I would suggest to either donate it to a non-profit organization after wiping the hard drive, or bringing it to an electronics recycler or reseller.
4. Images Do Not Appear: Your browser may be incompatible with the image encoding used on that website, your browser may be out of date, or your internet connection might be inadequate to properly load images.
5. Suspicious Website Visits: The IT department most likely uses some sort of proxy or remote monitoring software to watch internet traffic on your workplace’s network. I would respond by politely stating that these web visits were during approved break times, and that if he need further justification they can speak with my supervisor who would be able to prove to them that I was indeed not working, and on a break. Further issues should be reported to HR.
Internet Research (#5 Cloud Services)
1) I already have personal and school related Microsoft Onedrive and Google Drive accounts.
2) Microsoft Office Online and Google Drive are both pretty versatile when it comes to offering production-based applications similar to Word, Powerpoint and Excel included with an install of Microsoft Office. That being said, there are some limitations in these web-based applications: Google Drive does not offer a right click à copy/paste/cut option, you must use keyboard shortcuts (not tested on MOO). The online excel app and Google Sheets are more limited and slightly less capable than Excel installed on your desktop. However, the ease of use and automatic file saving as you edit, as well as the ability to quickly and easily share documents, and edit shared documents, is a major benefit to using web/cloud based applications such as these. The fact that your progress is automatically saved in the cloud is convenient, and makes it easy to access your files across different devices.