ITS 230 SEC 001
Due on 11/02/18
1. False;† Storage devices cannot be categorized as input or output devices.
2. False;† A storage medium is non-volatile; that is, items stored on it remain intact even when you turn off a computer or mobile device.
4. False;† On storage media, a higher density means more storage capacity.
5. False;† Because of current standards, head crashes occur less frequently.
6. False;† The access time of an SSD can be more than 100 times faster than a hard disk.
10. False;† When you are finished using a USB flash drive, first ensure that the device is safe to remove before removing it from the USB port.
11. False;† Mini discs do not require a separate drive.
12. False;† An active RFID tag contains a battery that runs the chipís circuitry and broadcasts a signal to the RFID reader, they are not small enough to be embedded in skin.
1) Unrecognized Storage Device:† This might be happening if the deviceís formatting is not compatible with your MacBook Proís OS.†
2) Incompatible Memory Card:† I could buy an adapter that allows my SD card to connect to my computerís SD reader, or plug in the camera via USB if the camera supports transfer via a USB cable.
3) Media Not Supported:† I would check to see if there is a link or software key provided with the DVD that allows me to download and install the software over the internet, or I could buy a cheap external dvd drive that connects to my laptop via a USB cable.
4) Encrypted Storage Device:† I would check if my company requires a specific kind of encryption program to encrypt company data, or if I should just use the built-in encryption programming on my OS.† Then I would format and encrypt the drive as per the above requirements.
5) Faulty RFID Card:† I would contact my IT department to see if my card either expired or needs to be re-encoded.† If that doesnít work, I would see about getting a new card as the battery in my active RFID card may be weak.
Internet Research (#4: Degaussing Storage Media)
There are degaussers available for tape drives, hard drives, floppy disks, and other magnetic storage media.† These are typically quite expensive, so it might be more financially feasible to have a data destruction company degauss your storage media for youl.† Gauss and Oersted ratings measure the magnetic property of the device (called coercivity), and indicated how difficult the media is to erase.† Generally speaking, it can take anywhere from an hour or two to several days to degauss storage media, depending on the size.† Companies that provide degaussing services also typically provide shredding services as an added measure after the drive has been degaussed. These companies also use secured facilities and state of the art degaussing equipment that is calibrated regularly.