Ch 9 Checkpoint
1. False, an operating system can reside in a flash drive or an optical disk.
2. False, a kernel is a memory resident.
4. False, most use a graphical user interface.
10. False, backwards compatible
11. False, linux is an open source software
12. False, client operating systems
1. If unable to login to my computer, I would attempt to log in as an administrator and change my password through that login.
2. If my customized settings didn’t appear when using my desktop, an update might have changed the settings to default, or the changes I had made were never saved, and therefore not showing up.
3. If my programs were incompatible with my current operating system, I would try to find newer versions of them that would be compatible, or at the very least troubleshoot my problems and see if there were any solutions I could pursue.
4. I would ask my company about the operating system update and see if I can do it. Until then, I would wait until I get a definite answer before updating.
1. Viruses: one website talked about the “Three Worst Computer Viruses” and the most recent one they mentioned was called WannaCry which affected the world on a global scale. This malware stole files and demanded ransom for their return. The ransom was demanded in bitcoin and would double after 3 days. If no payment was made, it would delete the files it stole. This virus affected automobile factories in France, the UK’s National Health Service, and FedEx in the US. WannaCry has caused more problems in 2018 with an email phishing scam. The email contained a threat of compromised data and a demand to pay a small amount in bitcoins but was later revealed by authorities to be a scam by other cybercriminals. Phones are targets as well, usually by virus scams, people manually uploading viruses, uploading viruses to legitimate advertisements, or fake applications. A popular anti-virus software for iPhone is Avira Mobile Security. This will block malicious sites and alert you if an account is hacked.