1. Pay a visit to your favorite portal and count the total ads on the opening page. Count how may of these ads are (a) immediately of interest and relevant to you, (b) sort of interesting or relevant but not now, and (c) not interesting or relevant. Do this ten times and calculate the percentage of the three kinds of situations. Describe what you find and explain the results using this case.
0% of the ads were relevant and interesting to me, 20% were sort of but not now, and 80% were not relevant or interesting to me. The opening page of a web portal has ads that are general and lack any aim for a particular consumer.
2. Advertiser use different kinds of ďprofilesĒ in the decision to display ads to customers. Identify the different kinds of profiles described in this case, and explain why they are relevant to online display advertising.
How can display ads achieve search-engine-like results?
Search ads work well because they are aimed at the interest of people and their searching, and displays ads relevant to those searches. Display ads can have the same results if they are used through behavioral profiles.
4. Do you think instant display ads based on your immediately prior click stream will be as effective as search engine marketing techniques? Why or why not?
It would depend on your list of previous viewed pages. Clickstream behavior would not be a good indicator if the sites you visited were random or had very little correlation. This would create a vague and undefined profile making it difficult to target you. However, if it was based on long term online behavior, it would be a more appropriate indicator of a personís interests.
1. †Go to www.stratgegicbusinessinsights.com/Valís/preserved.shtml. Take the survey to determine which lifestyle category you fit into. Then write a two-page paper describing how your lifestyle and values impact your use of e-commerce. How is your online consumer behavior affected by your lifestyle?
In my opinion, the survey incorrectly profiled me. My results categorized me as a Striver and a Maker. The typical characteristics are the opposite of who I am.† A personís lifestyle definitely impacts your online consumer behavior. If someone is very practical and lives modestly, they will be less apt to purchase impulsively and likely research items extensively. While someone who is very outgoing and lives in the fast lane, would be the complete opposite.
5. ††††††††Do a search for a product of your choice on at least three search engines. Examine the results page carefully. Can you discern which results, if any, are a result of a paid placement
If so, how did you determine this? What other marketing communications related to your search appear on the page?
The paid placement results are separate from the actual ones. The paid ones are either at the top under a heading labeling them as such or off to the right of the web results on the page. They also are differentiated with the word ĎAdí near the listing.