1. Name the two types of digital imaging programs and differentiate them.
· Paint programs create images by using pixels or picture elements. Images created using a grid are sometimes referred to as raster images or raster graphics. More commonly, these images are called bitmaps. These can become distorted/ pixelated when enlarged
· Drawing programs use vectors, or lines to produce an image. These lines are created using a series of mathematical points that can be changed without distorting the drawing.
2. Identify the advantage of using a raster graphic. LO 3.1 and 3.2
Great when creating rich and detailed images. Every pixel in a raster image can be a different color therefore you can create a complex image with any kind of color changes and variations.
3. Identify the advantage of using vector graphic. LO 3.1 and 3.2
It can be easily scaled up and down without any loss to the quality of the image, smooth lines and small file size.
4. Describe the advantages and disadvantages of cloud computing. LO 3.1
Advantages: cost efficiency, high speed, excellent accessibility it can back-up and restore data; Disadvantages: security issues, low bandwidth, flexibility issues and incompatibility.
5. Explain why it is important to understand file extensions. LO 3.2
Windows file names have two parts; the file's name, then a period followed by the extension (suffix). Extensions are important because they tell your computer what icon to use for the file, and what application can open the file. For example, the doc extension tells your computer that the file is a Microsoft Word file.
6. List at least four types of bitmap image extensions. LO 3.2
BMP, JPG, GIF, TIF
7. Differentiate between an AI vector file and an SVG or EPS one. LO 3.2
EPS is a general-purpose vector file format that has both the vector image data and a screen preview in the same file.
8. Explain why image are compressed. LO 3.3
To reduce image file sizes, several algorithms have been written to reduce, or compress, the size of image files.
9. Differentiate between lossy and lossless compression. LO 3.3
Lossless produce a smaller file size and lossy deletes or changes some pixels.
10. Explain what happens to an image if you realize it with resampling selected. LO 3.3
When you need to resize an image.
2. Keeping in mind the advantages, disadvantages, and uses of each file format, choose one file format and write and original slogan advertising the file format and its usefulness. Keep the slogan to eight words or fewer. Use an available paint program to effectively communicate your slogan. Save the slogan as 3_Apply2_Slogan. LO 3.2