Professor Shin-Ping Tucker
Chapter 7: Social, Mobile, and Local Marketing
1. Find a site on the Web that offers classified ads for horses. Compare this site to exchangehunterjumper.com in terms of the services offered (the customer value proposition). What does The Exchange offer that other sites do not?
I choose Equine.com website that also advertise horses for sale to compare with exchangehunterjumper.com. My first impression about this website is it looks simply, clearly and easy to use. The services or the customer value proposition that this site offers are horses, stallions, real estate and rescue horses. This website also offers the platform to buy horses but not sell like exchangehunterjumper. Both sites have horses’ part that people can buy horses depend on their choice of height, type, location and price. Though, there are not many kinds of horses being sold in this site while horses in exchangehunterjumper is more diverse. At the exchangehunterjumper.com, the choice is much easier for looking as they have some listed on the sidebar and they also provide typical horse specification that buyers can be attracted. Another advantage with exchangehunterjumper is that they post videoclips on the horsed edited so the buyers can take a look before they decide to buy the horses. Furthermore, the exchangehunterjumper offers “show calendar” that is not available on equine.com. However, it is likely that equine doesn’t completely focus on selling horses because it also offers real estate that make buyers confused about this site.
2. In what ways were social media effective in promoting The Exchange brand? Which media led to the highest increase in sales and inquiries? Why?
Aslin, the founder of the Exchange starts using social media to promote her small business such as Facebook, Youtube, Twiter and Instagram in the early ages of social media. At the first time, it is difficult for her website to approach her customers because of the limitation of customer’s using social media ability. Though, The Exchange are successful on their social media platform. On Facebook, they promote content and boosts posts every month and spent money on advertising their service on Facebook. Furthermore, the Exchange posts video online on Youtube channel to increase their followers. They use Google Analytics to track exactly how many people are on their website in reality and how they can get there. Despite this, Facebook has been the most resounding social media success. Now they have over 20,000 followers on Facebook, 2000 followers on Twitter and 70000 views on Youtube channel.
3. Make a list of all the ways The Exchange attempts to personalize its services to both buyers and sellers.
· The Exchange has an individual e-mail response to purchaser inquiries where an actual person reacts, for example the email is not automatically created.
· Both buyers and sellers fill out special forms in attempts define main goals
· Like many other e-commerce sites, The Exchange will recommend to potential buyers based on what kind of horses they have looked at historically, and by doing this The Exchange Searches for suitable horses that is suitable for potential purchasers of horses automatically.
· For every horse that gets set up on their website, The Exchange will build up a personal selling strategy for each horse which customizes the whole selling experience.
· The Exchange works with sellers and trainers in the sales & operations planning side to create many effective ads including video edited clips, photos and history of the horse.
1. Choose two different online companies and for each, try to identify the social, mobile, and local marketing efforts the company has implemented. Do they use social plug-ins on their websites? Do they have a Face book page? If so, visit those pages to see how they are using them. How is the Face book page different from the company's website? Can you identify how the firms use mobile marketing? Use your smartphone or tablet to access their apps, if they have one, and websites. Are their websites designed specifically for each platform? In conclusion, compare and critically contrast these firms, and make recommendations for how you, as a marketing manager, would improve their effectiveness.
- Social marketing: Amazon applies all social media strategies for their business and become the corporation which has the largest net e-commerce sale. They have their pages on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter. For example, Amazon uses their official Facebook page to promote their company news, and feature product promotions through influencers of all sizes.
- Mobile marketing: Amazon’s app is created on mobile platform to satisfy the demand of buyers because buyers spend most of their time on their phone is much more than on laptop. Their app is more convenience with many methods such as one-click purchase.
- Local marketing: Besides social and mobile marketing, Amazon are doing well with their role in local marketing. They send coupon or discount to buyers’ mail boxes. They always want to know the location of users to provide the best deal for them.
- Amazon also use social plug-in (Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest) by using Share button on their website to help people share their experiences with others. It is a way to spread out the influence of products. Furthermore, Amazon also have an official homepage on Facebook.
- The Amazon Facebook Page is different from the website. On the website, they post products with details, price and buyer can purchase through the site. Otherwise, people cannot buy through their Facebook page because they use Facebook to advertise and promote for their products. They post advertised video to introduce about their goods and services.
- Their websites designed specifically for each platform such as on laptop or on mobile phone so that people can feel comfortable when they shop.
- Social marketing: Like other online companies, Tripadvisor also has its social marketing strategies based on using social media such as Facebook, Twitter. On these pages, they post video, news related to traveling information, tickets, rentals accommodation.
- Mobile marketing: They also focus on mobile platform that allow users to access, look for tickets, homestays, hotels. Furthermore, they encourage users to download their app by offering coupon or discount if they conduct transaction through their app.
- Local marketing: Advisor will provide the best deal based on your location if you use search engine.
- Like Amazon, Tripadvisor also has specific design for each platform.
Both Amazon and Tripadvisor are large business that maximize their ability and take full advantage of the benefits of social, mobile and local marketing in their own area. They use social media as a marketing strategy to get people attention as well as make more profit. If I can give them a recommendation, I think they should improve their weakness and develop their strength to create comparative advantages because more and more new business is growth every day.
2. Visit your Facebook profile page and examine the ads shown in the right margin. What is being advertised and how do you believe it is relevant to your interests or online behavior? Make a list of ads appearing in your News Feed. Are these ads appropriately targeted to you in terms of your demographics, interests, and past purchases? Surf the web, visiting at least two retail websites. In the next 24 hours, do you see advertising on Facebook related to your surfing behavior?
Most of advertisements shown on my Facebook page are products that I recently look for them on search engine or their website including clothes, cosmetics or technology devices. I think it is really amazing because it is closely relevant to my interests and online behavior. For example, I see the ads shown on my new feed which related to exactly the shoes that I want to buy after I look for it on the website. Another example is I looked for a new laptop yesterday and today it is showed on my Facefook. There are many similar situations happens while I surf the web every day. At first time, I feel kind of weird and cannot understand how they can know my behavior. But now, I can figure out that most of e-commerce business use AI technology to collect and analyze data from users. After that, AI can response to customer behavior. I found out that these ads appropriately targeted to me in terms of my demographics, interests and past purchases. Facebook know my interests so well. But sometimes, it still has some unfamiliar ads shown on my new feed if I have not been searching for anything for a long time. That is really interesting!