ITS 380-001 Global E-Commerce Systems
CH1 – The Revolution Is Just Beginning
P.50 Case Study Questions:
Q1: Why does Pinterest view Google as its primary competitor?
Answer: Even though people can get the same information on both, Pinterest generally have more pins than Google do. However, Pinterest only more focus on women fashion, home decoration, craft as well as food, but Google focus on everything, such as the movie, the music and any other things you like, while you cannot do that on Pinterest.
Q2: Why does Pinterest focus on the smartphone platform when it develops new features and products?
Answer: Because recently the frequency for people of using smartphone is much more than the one of using computers. They always have their phones with them. Therefore, if Pinterest focuses on the smartphone platform, it could be able to increase the probability that people use Pinterest and buy products on it.
Q3: Why is copyright infringement a potential issue for Pinterest?
Answer: Because there might be some users who post images without permission on Pinterest. They could just copy any picture they like and also post some other pictures without permission. In this case, those users might potentially violate the copyrights. Also, Pinterest doesn’t enable other sites to bar its content from being shared on Pinterest. Therefore, other sites can just share anything through Pinterest. It allows people to post content, including photos, comments, links, and other materials.
Q1: Choose an e-commerce company and assess it in terms of the eight unique features of e-commerce technology…improvement you may have.
1) Ubiquity - Flipkart's official website is available online and is ubiquitous. Customers can order online at any time at their home, or at workplace.
2) Global Reach – This brand has been serving for goods online since many years. It has great global reach not only in India but also around the world across the national boundaries.
3) Universal standards - It holds the strong concept of universal standards and serves every country with the same level of websites. Internet stands are the same, whether a customer is ordering from India or form any other country.
4) Richness - Audio or video media, sliding interactions, or even scroll events, help in adding a delightful layer of engagement a user experiences on a website or application. These interactive elements can tell a story or trigger emotional connections can truly create lasting impressions on an individual’s mind.
5) Interactivity - Effective e-commerce
navigation should make it as easy as possible for customers to find what they
want, and get to the relevant product. There are a number of ways to do this,
and many depends on the mindset of the consumer. Flipkart website needs to work
on interactivity part. They should have live chat support or any other medium
that consumer may use for instant help.
However, a minority of users will typically take the site search option, so people will head for the navigation bar and look to browse by category.
6) Information density - Flipkart needs to improve the information density. It uses the featured slider / feature images in every post everyone can see the information easily.
7) Personalization/Customization - This
company also takes online orders from the consumers according to their desire
and makes of products which would satisfy the customer with high
8) Social technology - It has Facebook, Twitter, Instagram account to reach out to the customers with offers and notification systems.
Q2: Search the Web for an example of each of the major types of e-commerce described…which you have assigned it.
B2C - Amazon - Chose to do business as it is the biggest online retailer and the market leader. With multiple seller platforms and huge customer reach it makes sense to do business with them. However, selling on Amazon might reduce margin on the product which might prevent people from doing business with them
B2B - Alibaba - Largest online B2B platform. It also offers online payment services, a price comparison search engine, and cloud data storage services. No do business with them if you are local supplier or buyer.
C2C - eBay – A customer, not a business, sells goods or services to another customer. The goal of a C2C is to enable this relationship, helping buyers and sellers locate each other. Customers can benefit from the competition for products and easily find products that may otherwise be difficult to locate.
M-commerce - Amazon mobile - Larger number of people use mobile platform to do most of the business. Easy to use and connected throughout.
Social e-commerce - Facebook - Engage Your Audience on Social Media. Social media is about creating meaningful connections with your prospects. However, there are huge problem of data security, competitive pricing, and customer loyalty.
Local e-commerce - foodcommerce, shopify - easy to use and trustable and is available in the customer demographic. Limitations - Might have limited products and supply.